Read our latest updates and resources!
- Giving Thanks & Preparing for 2018: We are Just Getting Started (11/17/2017) - It is that time of the year where reflection and gratitude permeates my thoughts and I am filled with a renewed sense of direction and energy. As we conclude our second year of operation under the name CHC Training, I want to take a moment to document our efforts and appreciate how far we have come in both our internal and external environments. As I preemptively create a list of organizational achievements in my head, I am overwhelmed by the cosmic relationship between dream and reality. I am so blessed... Read more
- Silica Protection Laws Delayed Again Through U.S. Labor Department – Why? (10/24/2017) - Despite years of work, extensive stakeholder meetings, decades of patience, and hundreds of annual fatalities, the Department of Labor is yet again delaying full enforcement of the Respirable Crystalline Silica in Construction standard that was finalized and ready for implementation in 2016. This postponement, announced three-days before the September 23rd deadline, delays OSHA’s enforcement of the new standard by an additional 30 days and comes on the heels of a previous three-month enforcement suspension, which pushed the initial compliance deadline from June 23rd to September 23rd. According to the current... Read more
- Fall Protection Training Debuts on OSHA Top 10 Violations for 2017 (10/12/2017) - Each year the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) releases their list of Top 10 cited safety and occupational violations, and debuting at number 9 with 1,523 violations is Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503). Preliminary data for fiscal year 2017 ended on September 30th and remained largely unchanged from 2016. The full list included: Fall Protection – General Requirements (1926.501): 6,072 violations Hazard Communication (1910.1200): 4,176 Scaffolding (1926.451): 3,288 Respiratory Protection (1910.134): 3,097 Lockout/Tagout (1910.147): 2,877 Ladders (1926.1053): 2,241 Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178): 2,162 Machine Guarding (1910.212): 1,933 Fall... Read more
- The Aftermath: Hurricane Remediation – Know What You’re Dealing With! (9/25/2017) - With the recent catastrophic hurricanes, Harvey, Irma, Jose, and Maria, I thought it would be helpful to discuss the multitude of known and unknown hazards threatening the community during a rebuild. Hazard exposure is common during times of emergency. For many, seeking immediate safety inadvertently causes contact with contaminates not typically experienced. This is truer as hurricane waters carry toxins ranging from pesticides, chemicals, sewage, and bacteria that remain longer than after the waters subside. Flood water contamination is commonly reported on by the media and the public is warned... Read more
- Total Eclipse of Lead Poisoning Prevention by Trump Administration (8/21/2017) - As parts of the U.S. experience the 2017 total eclipse of the sun today, I can’t help but use the “eclipse” analogy to reference the recent proposed budget cuts by the Trump administration which have drawn crosshairs on the EPA to the tune of 31% of the agency’s overall budget, and the reduction of agency personnel by 3,200 employees. This drastic curtailment of funding, part of the new administration’s pledge to remove the federal government from the funding and enforcement of programs it considers the responsibility of individual states, will... Read more